I share some competencies that, according to my experience, new talent should have to contribute to the development of innovation in the company.
I was recently asked what characteristics companies should look for in the employees they hire to become successful innovative organizations. Although there is no absolute consensus on this issue, I share some competencies that, according to my experience, new talent should have to contribute to the development of innovation in the company:
1. Be disruptive, that is, have the courage and ability to ignore past answers to current questions, to question products, processes, services, systems and successful business models to date. Likewise, it must have the necessary creativity to transfer ideas or innovative solutions from other fields, even if these are very alien to one's reality, etc. The person who wants to create something innovative, must free themselves from the traditional and archaic way of thinking, in addition to knowing how to manage, and manage, in situations of uncertainty.
2. Be tolerant of frustration. This means being resilient to failures and being able to learn from them. For innovation you have to experiment, be aware that there will be failures and still maintain the desire to do something new and different. This involves withstanding and digesting setbacks. Employees must be clear that failure is not a personal Waterloo, but is an intrinsic part of the nature of a new way of working towards innovation. On the other hand, executives must actively promote this thought scheme, not sanctioning, but rather encouraging the predisposition of their employees to commit failures in the desire to innovate. It is important, at this point, to point out the difference between a failure and an error.
The failure is something involuntary and the negative result of an idea or initiative to improve or change, for good, certain situations, goods, etc. On the other hand, an error means to contravene any rule or provision in a deliberate way or even through ignorance, an action that must be sanctioned.
3. Be empathetic, which means having the ability to put yourself in the shoes of the other employees of the company, regardless of their hierarchical level, and those of the clients, who are finally "those who give us food" (in Exsa, the company that I had the honor to lead, we called it a focus on the internal and external client). In this framework, the main executives must have the emotional competencies necessary to motivate, lead and generate the necessary emotional well-being in all employees so that they accompany them "to the stratosphere"
4. Be optimistic, have confidence in yourself and a positive attitude towards your task or responsibility and, in general, towards life. In the following years the changes or disruptive developments will increase exponentially, so who is skeptical or opposed to the change, will be on the side. However, such optimism must go hand in hand with a healthy capacity to question things and criticize constructively. It is obvious that executives have a great responsibility not to discourage that optimism on the part of their employees, and it is basic to create and maintain an environment of complete transparency and honesty.
5. Have their own initiative, which means having the ability to make the most of the free spaces that are presented in the companies. Thinking as an entrepreneur and being able to organize, and organize your environment, is the key. It is no longer enough to comply fully with the orders and instructions of their leaders, but to take decisions and take responsibility for them. However, care must be taken not to exceed this exercise and lose the important balance of life, becoming a workaholic, converting what is supposed to be a virtuous circle into a vicious one.
6. Know how to adapt to an environment of diversity, that is, to feel comfortable working with heterogeneous teams at the level of gender, culture, profession, religion, etc., because diversity is the engine of innovation. The world we live in is complex, and that complexity must be reflected in companies. Companies whose employees have the ability to analyze problems from as many angles as possible have a great competitive advantage. It is obvious that for this, the executives who lead these companies must demonstrate that they have the ability to gather all employees around the same vision, and promote the discipline necessary to maintain that vision and the objectives that flow from it.
7. Hace affinity with technology, not be afraid of digitalization and make it their own, taking advantage of it as a useful tool for achieving their goals. Nowadays, this is a critical competence for the development of innovation, both in the private and in the professional field. It is not about being an expert in programming, but about understanding the logic behind digital tools. The digital technology is in the day to day and, therefore, every employee must have a minimum knowledge of it.
I am interested in knowing your opinion on this topic. How are Peruvian companies in relation to these competences? What do we lack as a country to advance in the path of innovation and thus improve the welfare of our citizens? I invite you to respond in the comments.
Maite tells us the history of Norway. He argues that the vikings had a moment of economic boom, based on natural resources...Read More
It was ... complicated. It required a lot of creativity on both sides. For years, my father and I were opponents in the field, but we met without prob...Read More
The key to successful social innovation in Peru is based on breaking the belief that solutions to social problems are the sole responsibility of the s...Read More
Design Thinking is not necessarily a new concept. If we quickly review history, we will find that more than one brilliant mind followed...Read More
I shared the podium with Humberto Salicetti, Partner of PwC, who emphasised the advancement of technology and the role that today has...Read More
I am convinced that, if we want to turn Peru into a modern country, we must first implement a culture of innovation at all levels...Read More
The idea of this initiative was to generate a space for reflection. This is how Ricardo Balarezo, Executive Director of Campo Base Consulting...Read More
With all of my years of experience, I can say that I have never seen a crisis as shocking as the one that hit mining in the last two years...Read More
This time, I got to know details about the formula developed by Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the most successful British soccer coaches, who led...Read More
From guerrilla warfare in the sixties to President of Uruguay in 2010. José Alberto Mujica Cordano won international admiration during his gove...Read More
To consistently and successfully promote innovation in a country, the solution is simple, but the implementation is quite complex...Read More
Karl Maslo, the regional CEO of EXSA, took advantage of his participation in PDAC 2016 and presented the great benefits seen from his new Quantex tech...Read More
It was reported in the media in July of 2015 that there was a collapse in the price of minerals. Gold had fallen by 1.1%, registering its lowest rate ...Read More
Directed Energy Conference & Next Generation MunitionsRead More
The CEO of the company had an important role in the forum organized by the National Confederation of Privately Business Institutions (CONFIEP).Read More
Let's not lose curiosity and take advantage of opportunities, but without sinning as opportunists.Read More
As EXSA, we’ve integrated this network of institutions and people since August of last year, and we had the great opportunity to participate in ...Read More
Today in Peru, those who participate in forums, exhibitions and conferences on innovation, know that it’s fashionable.Read More
A few days ago, I was visiting Braga (Portugal). I went to interview with many startup companies that are being promoted by "Startup Braga" ...Read More
A few days ago, I came across an interesting article called "The 7 Myths of Artificial Intelligence", written by Robin BordoliRead More
One of the lessons that the business world gives us, thanks to that special dynamic that exists between the supply and demand of products and services...Read More
Today, for those of us who work at EXSA, innovation is a fundamental pillar of our day to day, to such an extent that we are about to launch new disru...Read More
Breca Group, an explosives company, reinvented their business with a technology that challenges the status quo, pollutes less and saves millions of do...Read More
Innovation is key to helping to improve the living conditions of Peruvians, generating the long-awaited and necessary economic growth for this country...Read More
The alliance between UNSA and Purdue University opens the doors to perhaps the only real response to global warming: technological innovation applied ...Read More
There’s no doubt that we live in an exciting time. Our scientific and technological advances allow us to know - more and more - the best kept se...Read More
As we obtain lower and lower-grade ore, the mining industry has had to increase their extraction costs constantly over these past years. Thus it&rsquo...Read More
The automation which is a word very much in fashion lately, see benefits that go beyond the reduction of labor cost, for example, its implementation m...Read More
For executive directors this implies implementing mechanisms that turn their companies into "learning organizations", and this can be a tita...Read More
The common denominator in all the cases described above, is the decision to bet decisively on innovation as a driving force for development.Read More
Last Saturday 12th I had the pleasure to be invited to an interview in the program Rumbo Minero at Canal N to talk about my experience in innovation a...Read More
Star Wars has given us memorable scenes that are already part of the history of the seventh art and that have marked the future of science fiction in ...Read More
Why did you leave? It´s one of the most frequent questions I heard after making an important decision: to retire from the position of CEO I...Read More
Something is definitive. The world will not stop innovating, and the gap with the leaders could reach an irrecoverable level, if in Peru the actions t...Read More
"Innovation goes faster than lawyers, congressmen and the apparatus in general are slow to react"Read More
Experience says that the best complements are not necessarily the best successors.Read More
This initiative is definitely an example to follow, that shows us that innovation can really contribute to the sustainability of the business, the env...Read More
I share some competencies that, according to my experience, new talent should have to contribute to the development of innovation in the company.Read More
The innovation within an organization has to evolve within a virtuous circle, and not stay stuck losing just its reason for be: generate benefit or we...Read More
The recent arrest of the leader of Fuerza Popular, Mrs. Keiko Fujimori, and the premiere of the biopic of Freddie Mercury, the most emblematic figure ...Read More
If we begin to unite points and pay attention to the details, we will find what seems to be a well-established path to finally have a determined polic...Read More
It is clear that while innovations bring comfort and well-being, they also threaten traditional ways of regulating industries, managing business or ev...Read More
Innovation also has to do with generating new opportunities and offering a different view of the world. The Lince Troop is the clearest exam...Read More
Surround yourself with the best people possible, even better than you, give them a career line (while continuing to establish lines of succession), em...Read More
At the 2018 Alumni Summit of the Harvard Business School, the famous psychologist Daniel Gilbert shared his latest research results on what happiness ...Read More
El liderazgo de una organización no depende exclusivamente de una figura, sino que necesita equipos multidisciplinarios que se reten y rompan e...Read More
Public companies have the reputation of being the opposite of those of the private sector: enormous mastodons with endless bureaucracy and processes t...Read More
The CB Insights consultancy conducted an interesting exercise: analyzing 101 texts of startups that announced their closure. Their conclusions agree i...Read More
Successful disrupters are those capable of detecting and meeting the needs of customers emerging before the bigger competitors.Read More
What is the secret of that successful 10 percent? Neil Patel, founder of Crazy Egg and Hello Bar, among other successful ventures, comments on the 4 m...Read More
As is the case with the lack of integration in public transport systems, shyness when promoting innovation at all levels, and betting on necessary par...Read More
Ivan Duque inadvertently put his finger on the bleeding sore of the lack of promotion of innovation – Did our authorities get the message this t...Read More
Tal y como ocurre con la falta de integración en los sistemas de transporte público, la timidez al momento de impulsar la innovaci&oacu...Read More
A diferencia de los discursos que solemos ver en el Perú, el presidente chileno dedicó todo un segmento de su discurso a la tecnolog&iac...Read More
Lo que es inaceptable es que, con la innovación esperando a ser despertada a la puerta de nuestro país, tengamos que ver en televisi&oac...Read More
La era post-digital implica que las empresas lleven la personalización a la individualización.Read More
¿Qué tendencias deberían estar siguiendo las empresas para subsistir y prosperar en la era post digital?Read More
Un equipo de investigadores decidió aprovechar las posibilidades de la Big Data y el Machine Learning para profundizar en las palabras y analiz...Read More
Se trata de Nano Lab, que será creado por la multinacional Accenture Limited.Read More
Ángela Quintero, country manager de Accenture Perú; y Rodrigo Isasi, socio y director de Insitum, detallan la oferta integrada...Read More
Una de las postales que dejó la Cumbre sobre el Clima realizada en la ONU a propósito de los compromisos contra el Cambio Climáti...Read More
Ante un escenario de vientos en contra y retos mayores, la innovación comienza a abrirse camino y se mete, de manera imprevista, en el eje de t...Read More
Exsa's culture of innovation is a true gold mine that, I am sure, Orica will know how to take to new heights…Read More
La presencia mediática y las leyendas urbanas difundidas a propósito de CEO’s como Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg o el di...Read More
Hablamos de transformación digital de manera recurrente en estos días. Sin embargo, quizá sea más relevante hablar de la t...Read More
Hace unos días leí un post en Linkedin, en el cual un CEO comentaba la experiencia de un joven de 18 años, que fue contratado rec...Read More
“Crisis” ha sido el término de moda en los últimos meses debido al frenazo provocado por el COVID-19. Por doquier nos topamo...Read More
El profesor de la Harvard Business School, Mitchell Weiss, indica que el desafiar los problemas públicos adoptando un espíritu emprended...Read More
Hace un par de semanas, los especialistas de Cyber Ventures, me hicieron una interesante entrevista sobre los nuevos desafíos que esta digitali...Read More